This salad is delicious and looks elegant. It appears that it would be
would be a lot of work.
What makes it nice is you can do the first three steps ahead
of time and just assemble it before serving.
Makes 4 servings
* Place walnuts in sauce pan, add water just to cover nuts and simmer over medium
heat until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
* Drain and transfer to paper towels to dry.
* Combine nuts and powdered sugar.
* Heat 2 tablespoons oil to 350 degrees in a heavy saucepan.
* Fry walnuts in batches until browned and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes.
* Transfer walnuts with slotted spoon to a baking sheet to cool. Salt slightly.
* Store unused nuts in an air-tight container.
* Combine sugar, lemon juice and water and boil over high heat until sugar
dissolves, 2 minutes.
* Add pear halves and cook over low heat, covered, until tender, about 20 minutes.
* Cool, then remove pear with slotted spoon and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices.
* Warm 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over low heat and saute garlic and shallot until
translucent, about 4 minutes.
* Combine garlic and shallot with balsamic vinegar in glass bowl.
* Slowly whisk in 3/4 cup oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste; add sugar to
* Gently stir in tomato and basil. Makes 3/4 cup.
* Divide salad among 4 plates and top with slices of Poached Pears, Candied Walnuts, tomato and Gorgonzola cheese.